Monday, September 10, 2007

As you well know by now...I am obsessed with the farmers market. Sunday morning I headed up to the market, a little sad I was going it alone but excited at the prospect of the heirloom tomatoes. My intention was to buy a bunch of tomatoes to make homemade oven dried tomatoes and to pick up some sweet peppers to make red pepper jelly.

By time left I had over 2.5 lbs of beautiful assorted heirloom
tomatoes, some for the drying and some just for eating, and 4 large and 4 miniature sweet peppers not to mention the zuc's, cucumbers, apples, peaches and pears. I love this time of year. All of the farmers were giving samples of their new produce and it everything was so good.


I didn't have time to start working on the dried tomatoes before heading off to the Whitecaps game but decided to start the process when I got home at 7:00 PM. Mistake..the dehydrating process can take anywhere from 6-12 hours. At 2:00 AM finally turned the oven off after waking up every 2 hours to check on them. The result of 24 tomato halves baked in the over for 6 hours and 54 minutes can be seen in the jar to the right. Tuesday night I plan to tackle the red pepper jelly and the second batch of dried tomatoes. I'm hoping I can find a way to preserve the tomatoes through the winter as I refuse to eat tasteless mealy tomatoes any longer. I say no, no.

No comments: