Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The rendezvous in Calgary/Banff was wonderful. Despite arctic temperatures (-15 to -20C) and continuous snow we managed to take in the beauty of Banff while snowshoeing and indulging in dips in the thermal hot springs. Our night at the Tarry-A-While B&B included free access to the Whyte Museum. The museum tells the story of Peter and Catherine Whyte, two artists who made their home in the Banff area beginning in the mid 1930's. It was a wonderful discovery and I am so glad we decided to take advantage of the free admission. There is definitely a lesson here that small local museums can house stories that make your visit to a town so much richer.
All weekend I had been talking about how we had to have pancakes on Tuesday as it was Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day. So on our way back we stopped in Canmore and got ourselves some fluffy buttermilks. Seemed like a great idea at the time. About half an hour back into the trip I was fighting to keep my eyes open...be this a warning to all of you who choose to eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday; don't eat and drive...its hard to stay alert after an order of the haystacks. And yes...I was off by a week...for some reason I thought Lent started this week, not next. Thank god for T-bone, I would have been denying myself the DC and baked goods for a week longer than required.

I'm home for two nights now before heading off to Tofino Friday afternoon with the Jennifer, Greg and Ben for a few days. I'm loving all the time I get with the little man as his smiles are one of my favourite things.

No comments: