Sunday, May 13, 2007

I just returned from three days in Kelowna, starting off with a little business and ending with a lot of pleasure. Who knew Kelowna was such a great city? It's beautiful and green and perched right on the edge of Okanagan Lake surrounded by orchards and vineyards. From horse ranches to wake boarding, the city seems to have a little bit of everything. I think I could really like Kelowna.

Friday night I attended POSH, the opening night reception for the Kelowna Life and Arts Festival. What a fabulous event. I have never eaten so much or sampled so many great wines. After the POSH event we were invited to the After Party which was attended but the who's who of the Kelowna arts scene. Again...more great food and a killer martini. To top the event off they (the host Chris Sorenson and his lovely wife Michelle) had complimentary cab rides home lined up which we took advantage of after so much wine.

Saturday, after volunteering at the Festival for a few hours we headed out to Quails Gate Estate Winery where we had a great lunch and picked up some of the delicious Rose we had sampled the night before. After our lunch we headed over to the Mission Hill Family Estate. The view from Mission Hill was absolutely stunning, unfortunately my pictures just don't do it justice. We closed Saturday out with a BBQ held to celebrate the success of Sharon's running group the week before at the Marathon. I met a really nice couple there from Grosse Point MI and discovered that we share a favourite restaurant in Dearbourn MI. What a small world.

Sunday we took a long walk along the waterfront before heading out to the CEDARCREEK Estate Winery. I picked up my favourite white there, the 2006 Ehrenfelser which apparently is flying off the shelves.

I've set myself up with a nice little BC wine collection this weekend, bringing home a little bit of everything for Trent and I to enjoy together this summer. I wish I had time to get back up there before the fall but it doesn't seem likely.

No comments: