Sunday, March 16, 2008

Yesterday I ran in the local St. Paddy's Day 5K. It was a lot of fun..well other than the run part. I had set some loft goals for myself time wise. I wanted to run under 26 minutes and was aiming to break 25, which I knew was rather ambitious considering I have only been back running for the past 6 weeks or so and I've had trouble getting out more than twice a week with my current schedule. I also had two side bets going; one that I would beat a friend's husband (I didn't) and the second that I would be slower than a guy I know who leads a marathon training group with the Running Room (I wasn't).


I came in at a reasonable 25:41. Slower than I had hoped and behind GV but still with in my goal time range. My first KM and mile were right on track but when we left the seawall and started up the long low incline I was faced with the reality that I really haven't been putting in the time/distance to race. I was knackered. My legs felt great but the cardio just wasn't there to push any harder.

We've been doing track work out for the past three weeks and I've been running pretty quick in my 1000m repeats for me. Each week lowering my time considerably from the week before. The problem has been its been taking me quite some time to recover from these runs. I've been doing some reading and I think I have been running too fast. I need to slow down (who ever thought that I would need to do that) in order to improve.

Tomorrow I start my masters swim class, two mornings a week. I'm looking forward to it as I really need the structure of a swim club to push me to swim fast. I've been swimming about 3 times a week for a good six weeks now so I should at least have the base needed to start pushing myself in the water.

Trent arrives a week today! Yeah!

1 comment:

Trent said...

Nice socks!