Thursday, July 17, 2008

It seems like it has been go go go since Trent and I got back from our canoe trip in the NWT. Here's a quick summary of the trip and what we've been up to since.

Canoe Trip

The canoe trip was awesome. We covered some 200 km in two and a half days. Not exactly how we wanted to do it but we tried to wait out the ice and when we could wait no longer we set out by 4X4 to the river. And what an adventure that was. 400m's in we were stuck and our machine died requiring a rescue. Not a great start but things got better. The ice on the Great Bear River was spectacular. I have a whole new appreciation for icebergs and fast moving water. No bears were seen on the trip but we got a good howling at by a wolf pack our second night and on the third evening a lone wolf considered joining us for dinner. I'm going to try and get some pictures on flicker when I get some time.


The Dickinsons
We got back to Van on Sunday of the long weekend and after a quick swim we headed out to meet D&D for dinner before they headed back to TO. It was great to catch up and exchange stories from our respective adventures.

Canada Day
On Canada Day I swam my 2k race. I hoped that I was recovered from the trip but 600m in I really started to feel tired and my right shoulder started to scream (200 km in 2.5 days with no training = angry shoulders and traps). I finished the race but didn't have anything in me to follow my race plan which would have seen me build my speed through out the race and come in strong. I was lucky to make it in at all. I ended up being about 20 seconds slower than last year but considering how I was feeling I was ok with that.

Kid Rock & Matt Mays
Matt was opening for Kid Rock at his Vancouver show so he hooked us up with tickets. I'm not sure what I enjoyed most, Matt Mays and El Torpedo, Kid Rock or the people watching. Trent headed up to Whistler to catch MM & ET play a solo gig on the Tuesday while I stayed in Van as I had a previous commitment. It sounds like he had a lot of fun living the life of a roadie for an evening.

Misc
In between all of this we have been trying to retrofit the apartment to accommodate two people with a lot of gear. Thankfully Trent is very handy and has a passion for shelves. We've also been doing a lot of swimming.

Last Thursday at open water practice I didn't expect the lifeguards to let us go out as the water was super wavy. After the lifeguard ran us through the heightened safety rules and all swimmers were buddyed up we were allowed to go out and swim (if you would call it that) a shortened course. It was so FUN. The swells were massive and with everyone watching out for one another it made for a very social swim filled with lots of laughter and hollers.

Tuesday night we went to see Jesus Christ Superstar at Theatre Under the Stars. It was a beautiful evening and the show was a lot of fun. Sound system could use a little work though.

This weekend we are off to Harrison Hot Springs for a dragonboat festival. Two of the BMO teams will be racing there so Trent and I are going to coach. We are camping tomorrow night at Sasquatch Provincial Park. I can't wait. Sunday its the Kitsilano Challlenge. I'm planning to swim the 3K and Trent is doing the 1.5K.

I know there is more but this is all I can come up with for now.

No comments: