Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Like a good captain I went down with the ship...more on that to come.

On Friday night we camped at Sasquatch Provincial Park which is just outside of Harrison Hot Springs. No sasquatch were sighted but we did see a deer. It was fun to do the whole car camping thing, even if just for one evening. We arrived in Harrison mid afternoon and after setting up our tent we headed out to the local golf course for some twilight golf. At $15 for 9 holes it was a whole lot of fun. I still maintain the 6 holes is where its at. I am sure more people would play if they made a few 6 hole courses.

I can no longer say I have never tipped/sunk in a dragonboat as our boat went down at the Harrison Dragonboat Festival on Saturday. After crossing the line and cheering our victory in the Division C Championship our boat was hit by backwash and combined with our cox having sharply just turned us into shore saw us go over before any one had a chance to react. And boy was it cold. Harrison Lake is glacial fed. Little did we know earlier in the day when we were loading the boat from the beach and commenting on ice cream headaches in our feet that later we would be swimming in it. After a brief scare we were all accounted for and we got our smaller ladies out of the water quickly while the rest of waited for what seemed forever for the rescue boat to come get us. The crew took home not only hardware but a good story to boot. Most impressive was that our missing flip flops were returned to us well after we were out of the water.

Sunday Trent and I both competed in the Kits Challenge. We were up at 5:00 am as we had volunteered to help out at the race. Didn't seem like a big deal when we agreed to it but after being at the dragonboat festival all day Saturday in the scorching heat and driving the two hours home we were whipped in the morning (see photo below taken at 5:45 AM. I switched from the 3K to the 1.5k and even with the shorter distance really struggled. With no energy to really push it I relied on my ability to swim can to can and not get off course. Between the second last to the last bouy I am not sure what happened because all of a sudden I was about 200m out from the bouy and had to swim directly back in. I'm blaming the currents/tide but perhaps there was some swimmer error in there too. Trent was waiting for me on the beach when I crossed the line having finished a few minutes before me. He too wasn't particularly happy as his shoulder was really hurting but all in all we still had a great day down at the beach. After stopping for brunch on the way home we both took well deserved naps for most of Sunday afternoon.

Another busy week. Tomorrow night it is fireworks after swim and then Thursday we are off to do the Grind with some friends. Friday morning my father arrives and then we are heading to Victoria for the weekend. We are going whale watching Saturday afternoon then going to annual lantern festival that evening. Sunday its back to the water with with Thetis Lake Challenge. No excuses this week...I'm hoping to come out of the water happy with how I swam.

Thank you to all who have sponsored me for the swim. Your generosity is much appreciated.

No comments: